1/2 medium size onion
8 shiitake mushrooms
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon soy sauce
4 slices low-fat Swiss cheese
8 slices whole grain bread
Salt & pepper
- Slice the onion.
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms and clean them with a paper towel.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan, add butter and the shiitake mushrooms.
- Make sure each mushroom is covered in butter, this will add to the flavor. Sauté for 2-3 min.
- Add the onions and sauté them together with the mushrooms until they have a sweat aroma. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add soy sauce just before removing mushrooms and onion from the frying pan (soy sauce burns easily). Set aside.
- Place Swiss cheese, onions and shiitake mushrooms on the sliced bread and sandwich it with the other half of bread.
- Place the sandwiches into a panini toaster at medium heat for 4-5 min. (If you don’t have a panini toaster just spray a pan with oil and place the sandwiches under a plate, as a weight).
Shiitake mushrooms contain the hypocholesterolemic agent eritadenine, which is known to reduce cholesterol. Shiitake mushrooms are high in fiber, and sometimes hard to digest.
Recipe & photo courtesy of Momokawa Culinary Arts, Inc.